History

The congregation of Oak Grove Church can trace its beginnings to a small church in the neighboring village of Union in 1844. The American Baptist Home Mission Society sent Rev. Jeremiah Murphy to Rock County to organize the church and successfully recruited thirteen charter members.

For a number of years, the Union Baptist Church served the farm community in northern Rock County as well as the village of Union and “The Grove”. In the mid-1850’s, “The Grove” experienced rapid growth and was platted as the Village of Evansville while growth in the Village of Union lagged behind.

In 1856, nine members of the Union congregation living in or near Evansville asked permission to withdraw and form their own church. Delegates from the Baptist churches in Janesville, Stoughton and Union, met on February 13, 1856 and issued the following resolution: “Resolved that this council do now recognize the brethren and sisters whose names have been submitted as a regular Baptist Church.”, and First Baptist Church of Evansville was formed.

Because they had no church building of their own, the new congregation relied on the cooperation of other community organizations and held services in the district school, the Methodist Church and the Congregational church. In 1866, land was purchased at the present location to build a new church building.
 
By 1903, church was packed to overflowing for the services and plans were finalized for another new building. The cornerstone for a new building was laid in 1903, and the current building was dedicated on June 12, 1904.

In 1999, the congregation at First Baptist Church left the American Baptist denomination with a firm commitment to the pure teaching of God’s Holy Word.

In 2006, the name was officially changed to Oak Grove Church.

“They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor.”  Isaiah 61:3
 
First Baptist Church 1867

First Baptist Church 1867

First Baptist Church 1903

First Baptist Church 1903

Oak Grove Church 2017

Oak Grove Church 2017